Friday, January 07, 2005

Finding some humanity in art

I've been so busy I didn't realise my accommodation run out yesterday... luckily they can extend a few days... but I went looking for somewhere close to the office... walking distance... preferably on changi road... didn't find anywhere but I did find some sections of the old world war two changi prison... it might have been re-located.., anyway it contains a series of amazing murals.. they have been repainted based on some originals painted by a british prisoner of war

The caption for the mural of saint luke, sort of sums up my feelings of the profiteers and con-artists swarming all over the well intentioned relief agents trying to come to grips with the horrific effects of the tsunami... and especially for those directly effected, homeless, overwhelmed and still largely alone... in a wide open prison... just without walls... infact with much left standing

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do"

I was chatting with terry just the night before and she was encouraging me to get back to sketching... and art as a way to forget the horror... good advice and well tried here in singapore during another possibly even more horrific event... this was such a coincidence

No comments: